Monday, January 5, 2015

New Years in Koh Chang

Since my friends and I live in the mountains in northern Thailand - we decided that a trip to the islands would be the best way to bring in 2015. After researching Koh Chang we decided to book accommodations/transportation that whole jazz since the island was almost booked up. Apparently we weren't the only ones with the idea of going to the islands...so after an overnight bus to Bangkok I arrive at the bus station in Bangkok around oh 7:10am and our bus was leaving at 7:25am and still hadn't met up with my two friends. Mai pen rai, no? (means hakuna matata in Thai). Figured everything happens for a reason and everything will work out (honestly, this is how it works in Thailand, if you worry about things it's pointless - plus Thai time is always something to bank on, they're never on time). So I actually met my two friends and we had time to grab a bite to eat and caught our bus to take us to the ferry that would eventually take us to Koh Chang. So YAY a few hour bus ride after I just took one to Bangkok (11 hours with lots of stops). Though we were going to the ocean and I am a California girl and the beach is my happy place. So we somehow spot the random spot where the bus was supposed to drop us off and we manage to squeeze in a taxi (basically the back of a truck and kept us in a cage almost, safety first) and we are headed to the ferry. 20-30 minutes later LOW AND BEHOLD THE OCEAN IS IN SIGHT! So it takes everything in me to keep from squealing and embarrassing my friends in front of strangers - I keep it together and we purchase our ferry tickets and board the ferry. At last! Reunited with my ocean! Couldn't get over how beautiful the water was and the perfect weather. Currently the western side of Thailand is a bit flooded due to all the storms that have been hitting Malaysia and Koh Chang is on the Eastern bit, down by Cambodia. So  this is the first thing I see when I get to the ferry:

After ordering a mixed smoothie drink (hello, can you blame me?! look at those colors!) we get situated (as in I put my stuff down and ran to the window) and we head on our way. Ferry was a short ride, maybe 20 minutes. Once we dock, we have to pray that the taxi driver will know where our hostel is so we pile into a bus taxi and hope for the best. After having no idea where we were we decide to call the hostel and ask someone for help for translating. Yay for nice people - the driver says he can take us directly there. So after 15-20 minutes of driving in the back of a truck - over hills and pretty sure we passed some goats and canyons at some point, we turn onto the main street again and alas we have arrived. He directs us to the street it's on and we stroll down the road taking in everything since this would be our home for the next few days. I'll save the details on the location, just know it's a small hostel, in the center of the bars/restaurants aka a bit noisy, but since there are only a few rooms, not super crowded and plus we had our own private room. I feel much safer having that then crashing in bunkbed hostels. So since my Internet connection is super slow and my computer needs to be taken into the shop, the pictures uploaded out of order so they are all over the place. Will do my best to give you an idea, but won't be writing captions under each photo. so NYE was spent on the beach - there was a big concert/stage specifically built for the NYE party and we had a nice big table on the beach where we could order food and drinks until the shenanigans entailed. Oh and I am traveling with my teacher group - 9 of us total. 
And that was NYE, I'll save the details again because I know my mother is reading this and probably the only one reading my entries, but still...haha. So we stayed out and danced and enjoyed the beach after being in the mountains and the cold for the past few months. New Years Day was spent on the beach and good food and naps and hanging out in the water. Emphasis on the napping part, we all needed sleep. That night we kept it more relaxed and found a lounge to hang out at. Pillows everywhere and good music, was pretty fun. The next day was spent on the beach again...(see a pattern?) and more good food and music, but at a different restaurant. It was one of our friend's birthday so we all met up for her birthday dinner and her boyfriend surprised her with a cake - was rather sweet. After that the girls (and Stefan - Hannah's boyfriend) decide to go to one of the bars we had been to previously - they had a big table that fit all of us and it was outside and just really enjoyed the vibe. Nothing super late because we had all booked a snorkeling tour and were supposed to meet at 9:30am. So we actually all get some sleep and have breakfast and make it on time to the meeting spot. and AHHH THIS TRIP WAS PERFECT! It was our last day and we headed to the pier and boarded this huge boat with only a few other people. It holds up to 100, but there were only 20-25 people actually on the boat, so was perfect. We immediately took over the upper deck and set up our camp there. We went to three different islands (national parks) and just snorkeled and relaxed on the beaches and took a million photos and got to use my GoPro (I didn't get to dive because I ruptured my ear drum last week so figured it wasn't the best decision to dive...April I will though). Lots of laughter and silly memories on that trip. Sunny (tour guide's name) was super fun and we all really liked him. Oh and I ate a fresh oyster just out of the sea. We were on the beach and he had one and asked me if I wanted to try it and I said sure - why not. So if I end up sick in a week then you all know why...Okay so the waters were crystal clear and it was just perfect. Lots of good food again and fresh caught fish! Beautiful sunset to end the tour and some of us met for a light dinner after that and some drinks, but we had to be up at 5:15am to catch our bus to Bangkok so we didn't miss our flight back to Chaing Rai. We all made it on time, but our bus was late, which caused us to miss our plane so we all had to buy another ticket...and then pay for private cars to take us home...but it's okay, we all made it back safe and sound and now so happy to be back in my bed and back in Mae Chan :) Seeing my kids this morning made my day, I love this life - what a beautiful dance :)

Okay so enjoy the photos...kind of a bit of everything. Again, sorry they're scattered.





































































No comments:

Post a Comment