Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Remembrance


Happy Loy Krathong! Well, last week I mean. Loy Krathong falls on the full moon in November - a Thai holiday that thanks the water goddess for the rainy season and apologizes for their sins and sets their krathongs down the rivers and canals. The krathongs are made out of banana leaves, flowers, joy sticks, a candle, and baht coins (see upper right picture). All of my students made their krathongs at school and so most of my lessons last week was centered around the holiday. Trying to teach what Loy Krathong means in English - we acted out skits and played games involving the vocabulary. Was quite fun once they started understanding the English translations. They would immediately write the Thai words next to the English in their books so they could remember. They aren't really supposed to, but as long as they're excited about English I don't mind :) 

Loy Krathong fell on Wednesday so after school just relaxed a bit and then went to Gemma's around 6 to do some yoga with my friends and then got dinner at The Garage then meandered to the "main street" and found some krathongs to purchase and put them in the river. Then we went and got some lanterns and set them off. Mine barely made it, story of my life - but it soared into the black night with the others eventually :) Pretty mellow Loy Krathong. Fireworks galore. Then bedtime. Thursday was the main festival - Yi Peng. And that was impressive, way to go Mae Chan! These are my girls dancing:

Video can also be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/cailinjs/videos/10102165502532425/?pnref=story

Needless to say I was quite proud of them


I got bangs



Haven't had them in years, figured a new look with a full moon was a good time to get them so...the day of Loy Krathong I biked on down to the salon and got them. Still getting used to having my sight be slightly obstructive, but oh well.

And so that weekend (27/11-29/11) I headed to Chiang Mai because I needed to get my medical exam for Oz cleared since I've been living in Thailand they think I have TB. I DON'T. But chest xrays and exam happened. Great thing about it though? SO CHEAP! $55 for exam AND xrays. Take that America! Anyways, now my health assessment has been sent to Australia as well as my fingerprints, university degree (certified copy), US Citizenship (copy), and other misc documents. So it's the waiting game. Originally I was hoping to go in May, but I realized I would be MISERABLE in that freezing cold weather (their winter) so going to stay another term and move in October when the weather and I will be on better terms. So aside from that, I spent the weekend getting massages, eating delicious food (what Chiang Mai is known for), and made some new friends, Sunday was spent meeting a friend for brunch and jumping off cliffs into water - a place called The Quarry - just outside of Chiang Mai. I am scared beyond fear itself of heights so jumping off 18ft cliffs was a big thing for me. I panicked and built it up in my head for a long time - my friend refused to let me use the rope to climb down to jump off the ledge. I finally just said fuck it and jumped. I HATE FREE FALL! I survived, my top however did not - after some searching I was all situated and surfaced and just had a good swim. Met some cool people and then proceeded to jump again. Still scary, but twice was enough for me. I'll eventually get better at it, but bah that feeling like when you're in an elevator and a roller coaster..just not for me! There's an 80ft cliff that you can jump off and I said no way jose. I have a limit!

It is rather gorgeous though :) Nicknamed the Grand Canyon of Chiang Mai. So after a good afternoon spent in a swimsuit and the sun, sunset was happening and thus was time to head to the bus station. Good way to end the weekend. Monday was hard to get into the groove of teaching due to having just such a good weekend. And now my brother arrives on Wednesday and I cannot wait!!! He's going to the Elephant Nature Park (where you WALK with elephants, not ride them and abuse them like most places in Thailand) on Thursday with a friend and then I get to see him Friday! And he's cooking me Mexican food! Then Bethel, him, and I will head to Pai for the 3 day weekend then to my town for 2 days then I have a 4 day weekend so we're going to the islands because he can't come to Thailand and NOT see the beach and experience the ocean in SE Asia. Then back to my town for 4 days then he goes home :(

Quick trip, but it will be amazing. We are both so excited. I didn't get to see him too much when I went home in July so this will be some good sibling bonding. Plus my friends get to meet him and can't wait since they've met my parents already.





I lost my grandmother on 1st of December. She was 90 years old and is now reunited with my Pa in the heavens. Not going to write too much on this as I am still processing and reflecting everything that has been going on. My brother has arrived in Thailand and been spending all my time with him. I love you Leenie and miss you, but know you are reunited with your soul mate. Give Pa a hug from me...

Love

Cailin

1 comment: