Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Island Life


Well hello again. I suffer from island time so I fell asleep too early hence why I'm up at 2am...but hey! Joys of unemployment and TRAVELING? Zero concept of time and loving it. I just know I need to be at the airport by 11am on the 4th of november...whenever that is :) so I treated myself to about 3 weeks in the islands and loved every minute of it. The first week was spent with 3 of my amazing girlfriends and we just had the best of times. I think I'm still recovering from all the laughter. 4 girls, 1 bungalow, and a ton of luggage. It looked like a tornado had hit, but we had a blast. I was sad to part ways with them after an amazing week, but paradise doesn't always last...unless you have  your life and take a ferry to another beautiful island to continue paradise living aka staying in denial about moving to the western world...so I gave my hugs to my girlies and boarded my ferry to Koh Tao and started on my own adventute...traveling solo is scary at times...so naturally I found a row to sleep on and dreamt my fears away. Woke up to the beautiful sound of the horn announcing our arrival to Koh Tao. 

Koh Tao is the smallest of the East islands and is known for diving and snorkeling. I did neither. I blew my ear drums awhile back and still need to get them checked out before I attempt at diving again. I booked myself a private room for a week as I have all of my luggage aka life with me (scary to think I can carry it all by myself) and just wanted to spread out and have some private time. Once sorted in my room I walked straight to the beach to catch some sun and a snack on the beach. Always love catching sunsets...and should have known I wouldn't be alone for long! 

Not 20 minutes after I got my soup that two friends from chiang mai walked past and we did a double take and we're like "omg hi!" So we decided to get dinner together and walked along the beach in search of some BBQ seafood. My friends own an amazing hostel in Chiang Mai- Stamps backpackers and I strongly recommend this place for anyone traveling in the area. I knew the owners through a friend I met in pai back in 2014 who came to visit last year and that's how I know them. See Asia gets small real quick...

Anyhow, I head home after dinner to shower and change and then head over to their place for some drinks before heading to their friends new hostel that just opened up on the island. Yay local friends! Love backpackers and all, but the stories get repetitive. So we head there thai styoe, 3 on a motorbike (sorry mom) and chill there for a bit before heading to the two bars that are open (thailand is in mourning and they shut everything down at midnight). 

So we head to the music and I run into the Dutch guys (neighbors on the other island) and we stay out on the beach and I call it a night around 1am. Walked home and slept a good solid 12 hours. Got up and showered and headed to the beach to get my tan on and read aka nap a bit. So that's pretty much how I spent my days. The last week I met this girl Sarah in an evening yoga class and just had a ball together. She just graduated from Harvard Law and has worked in the House for years and is actually now in Vegas working on the Hilary campaign for her old boss right now. Incredible in my opinion. So anyhow, we end up exploring yoga on the south of the island and just get hooked on the power vinyasa classes at Ocean sound dive and Yoga. Amazing class, so much sweat, and the best feeling after. We spent our days going to yoga, eating, napping, reading, beaching, yoga, eating, massages, rinse and repeat. It was the perfect oasis. One day Nida, her and I explored the island on an afternoon hike. Completely drenched in sweat the whole way, we would just go in the ocean when we got too hot. We took a break and had smoothies and fresh fruit overlooking the ocean. Was a great time. Had spent a lot of my time with the guys that I welcomed girlfriend time immensely. 

Once Sarah left I kept going to yoga and had made friends with some of the girls in the class and on Halloween the instructor offered a dance workshop...we learned the thriller dance and wore makeup and made a dance video! I will post it once my friend uploads it. Wifi is a bit shaky on the island so might be awhile.  UT yes, it was fantastic and amazing and so much fun. Halloween was spent with 10am than yoga 90 minutes, 2 hours thriller dance fun. 6pm 90 minutes power vinyasa. After that I treated myself to pizza and a nap haha. Honestly was such a godsend to find that yoga studio, felt at home again. Loowing forward to finding a yoga studio in melbourne. 

Halloween night was spent at a friends who lives on the island. We met on Chiang Mai back in June when my friend from LA was visiting. She was on the island doing her dive master training, she wants to be a videographer. Anyhow she lives with her dive buddies and had a Halloween party so hung out with them for a bit. Only took about 5 minutes for someone to mention Trump, however this bloke was from the UK so all you really have to respond with is Brexit. Conversation ended. Had a great time though, met some interesting people and got home at a reasonable time. 

Because it's monsoon season now in the islands, the rain poured daily. So naturally the day I left, today, it was sunny. Ah well, had a lovely time exploring thenisland, doing yoga, making new friends, and just living in the moment for a bit. 

Now I am in Surat thani visiting my friend Becca for a day to see her new place and chill out for a bit (because island living is just exhausting...). But really. We got som Tam from the market and went to an evening yoga class. Met her roommates and went to sleep early. Hence why I'm up at 3am bah. Tomorrow is errand day...haircut, last minute shopping, massage (duh), need to finish my book (like I need more luggage), yoga, and making sure I have everything. Checked into my flights and everything is sorted...Yikes! 

Logged in again to make sure my visa was still granted (it is), I just like to worry a lot...have been assured I have someone to pick me up Saturday. Still unsure what I will do in Kuala Lumpur for a night. 

But yeah...

It's finally coming to an end...I'm going to make a different blog for my future posts once I leave thailand...

Here are some island pics :) 

Fun de na kha (sweet dreams)

Cailin

















so I joined a lovely yoga studio (ocean sound dive and yoga) and learned a new Trick! The floor was slippery, but your get the idea 

Finished product tadaaaa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment