Monday, August 17, 2015

Tallyho

Well it's 1:35am and I'm wide awake. Why might you ask? Well I normally turn my wifi off at 8pm so I can journal and read and usually asleep 9-10pm. Exciting life in Mae Chan I know! However I got hooked on my new book and read until 11pm (heaven forbid!) knowing that Tuesday is my long day of teaching I opt to finally close my book at the end of the chapter and turn my lights off for dreamland. Now normally this happens quite quickly, it's part of my charm? However my mind was wandering from the book to some day dreaming to what if scenarios, you get the idea. Well I try to sleep in different positions and nothing seemed to work. So I realize I need to go to the bathroom so I turn my light on and I glance over and see a huge cockroach on my desk! Somehow I manage not to scream bloody murder and dart into the bathroom hoping to go unnoticed. I take a few deep breaths and peer out of my bathroom and look to see where he was and he had vanished! This was around midnight and I'm still awake. Initially I threw myself into my bed, grabbed my iPhone, and hid under my blanket. Enabled wifi and had an instant message (lol not massage 555) from a friend to keep me company. However since I live in Thailand and temperatures don't change too much and I don't have ac, I felt like I was in a sauna. I would sneak some fresh air in, but didn't want to risk the attack of the cockroach. Finally after repeating "I am 27, I am an independent woman, I am a grown woman, I have lived in the amazon without electricity and walls, I have befriended howler monkeys, I have survived many freak nature attacks, I can do this" over and over in my head, I took a deep breath and exposed my upper body to the fresh air and turned the light back on. Since then I have spooked myself with the mirror (I moved my foot and saw it in the mirror and nearly hit the ceiling before realizing it was only me). I keep glancing at the original scene of the crime wondering how I could exterminate this foul creature, but as the minutes pass I am going to somehow have to figure out how to survive the night. Mae Chan Coffee green iced tea blended (I hate coffee, just the name of my favorite cafe) is going to be a requirement tomorrow if I am to survive five classes tomorrow. However since I have been up I can write some about the bombing that took place in Bangkok a few hours ago...


I was at a friends having dinner and Annie announced an explosion had happened in Bangkok just now. We get on our phones and begin to google. Well I google and my British friend BBC's, not exactly a verb like google, but anyhow. So we try to read updates on it and now I think the latest is 16 dead and over 80 injured. Still unsure the group, but definitely targeted tourists. Was at a Hindu shrine. My friend happened to be there earlier and got hungry and left to get food just minutes before the explosion. She didn't get hurt, but she felt the explosion at the cafe she was at. So happy she is safe, but after dealing with riots the day before and now this, she's ready to be going back to Bali. Bangkok has never been bombed so it's shaking up quite a storm. Theories are bein thrown around, but so far nothing confirmed. I am safe and sound in Mae Chan (up to debate with the cockroach intrusion), but in all honestly I am praying that everyone recovers and is safe. I have friends in Bangkok and happy to hear they are safe and sound. 


I taught a seminar over the weekend to Thai teachers, emphasis on pronunciation and listening. What a circus, but overall a great learning experience and I got paid so that always helps with a learning experience.

My passport is ready for pickup so I'm a bit nervous because now Australia is coming closer and closer! Trying to stay present...

My friend can't come travel with me in October so I'm flying solo...going to do the elephant nature park in Chiang Mai the first weekend then fly straight to Bali. Skipping the Thai islands because I would rather explore anther country. Hiking a volcano to see the sunrise, surfing (yay!), yoga hostel in gilli, and just relaxing and have a proper holiday. Taking a break from alcohol because well, it's no secret it doesn't always work in my favor. So back to fruit, yoga, exercise, and reading a lot. Less time online (except for when under attack from thailands wildlife) and spending more time outdoors. Promised myself to get outside and at least walk without my music on, to get away from technology. Catch every sunset. Write down 3 things I'm thankful for every day and to write in my journal daily. I just finished Brida (Paulo Coelho - wrote the alchemist) and had some beautiful quotes in there, although not one of my favorites books- still enjoyed the themes. 

Quote by Yeats, it's referenced in the book: 
I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams 

And then just other quotes I particularly liked 

That afternoon I gave myself wholly as well. I was his companion, his wife, his audience, his lover. In a matter of only a few hours, I experienced the love of a lifetime" 

"I know he'll never come back, which is why I could love him with such strength and such certainty, because I would never lose him; he had given himself to me entirely that afternoon."

"By the taste. You can only know a good wine if you have first tasted a bad one."

"People give flowers as presents because flowers contain the true meaning of Love. Anyone who tries to possess a flower will have to watch its beauty fading. But if you simply look at a flower on a field, you will keep it forever, because the flower is part of the evening and the sunset and the smell of damp earth and the clouds on the horizon."

"That you will never be mine, and that is why I will never lose you. You were my hope during my days of loneliness, my anxiety during moments of doubt, my certainty during moments of faith" 

"I will always remember you, and you will remember me, just as we will remember the evening, the rain on the windows, and all the things we'll always have because we cannot possess them." 

Started another book and it's so far amazing, however too scared to turn my book light on to read in bed because of the cockroach. I swear I'm a grown woman...

Okay it's now 2:10am and time for sleep...alarm goes off in five hours! 6am was going to happen, but nope not tomorrow/in a few hours. Hopefully will have more to update by next week! Until next time! 

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and crazy, and strong...ps coach roaches go away when the light comes on! Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete